Heavy Rigid(HR) Truck Training Course

Vehicles that you can drive with a HR licence

Any rigid vehicle with three or more axles and a GVM of more than 8 tonnes.
Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM.
Also includes vehicles in lower classes.


Participants must:

  • Hold a current NSW C(not a learner), LR or MR licence for periods totalling at least two years.
  • Complete the RTA HR knowledge test and obtain a CBA (Competency Based Assessment) learners logbook and guidebook from the RTA.
  • Read the CBA guidebook before starting the course.


One Day Express Course
Automatic/Synchromesh Truck
or Constant Mesh(Road Ranger) Truck - must know how to operate with Constant Mesh gearbox

Two Days Course
Constant Mesh(Road Ranger) Truck - must be proficient in the use of a manual transmission